Ventilation

Monday, June 27, 2005

Elvis

Totally inappropriate codename, but one of my favorite subjects! Elvis is a good example someone who is aware he has issues, but rather than let his issues control him, he is controlling his issues. This is fascinating to me!

You can tell when he’s having a moment because he says a little bit of what he wants to say, but then he stops himself and says what he should instead. Because I don’t want to spoil it for him, I almost never acknowledge that I hear that first little tidbit. But I do hear it, and it is like watching two people, the man who wants to be and the man who is. Actually, it’s more like the man he could be and the man he chooses to be.

Elvis is one of the main reasons I needed the antitheses in the root cause theory. I haven’t yet settled on what his root sin is, but I had no way to explain his choices to go against his natural tendency and do or say the right thing. Clearly that was not rooted in sin.

Elvis is one of the only people I have witnessed practicing these choices. Surely this is the answer to digging out your root sin. You must simply choose its opposite.

Of course, the way this plays itself out in real life is in the realms of the symptoms, not the roots. You have to become very good at getting to the root so that you can choose the opposite of what seems natural. Remember, the fastest way to get to the root is to keep asking why, and choosing the opposite is not the same thing as telling yourself to stop.

Although he is one of my most over-analyzed subjects, I simply can’t stop analyzing Elvis. He added such an important concept to my theory, and he may be the only hope I have for finding the clue that makes sense of it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home