Ventilation

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Words

Our ability to understand is always limited by our experience. For example, the only way I know what the word understand means is because its definition contains other words I know like grasp, realize, and comprehend. Learning is the process of associating things you know. But again, learning is just a word, and if your only experience is memorizing facts from a history book, then you don’t understand what I am talking about.

Pride and faith, greed and hope, lust and love; these are all just words, until you have experiences that give them meaning. Nathon would like for me to define the root sins and goods, but that’s difficult to do. I can think of words that I would associate together, but can you understand what I mean?

Let me test you.

What is your definition of conviction? To the arbitrary person it probably means to be accused and sentenced or to have great dedication. But to a Christian it means something different. Accused and sentenced, yes, but not with the same experiences giving those words their meaning.

Just like conviction, the roots are words that can only produce my intended meaning when they are revealed to you by the Holy Spirit. I can define them with words, and the association will be there for the learning, but the knowing must happen first.

In life, there are some things you that can only be opened to you by the Holy Spirit, and if you have no experience with Him, then I am afraid not only will my ideas be lost on you, but you will miss out on the true and amazing meaning of life.

I am going away for a few days, but I will be working on my definitions.

By the way, did you know that logical is an antonym for arbitrary? I learned something today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home