Ventilation

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Over-compensation

I used to have a boss who was overly cautious not to have the appearance of wrongdoing. Everything he did was so deliberate that I believe he actually gave the impression that something was wrong, exactly the opposite of what he intended.

When I would meet with him he would leave his office door cracked open just enough to be able to say that he held an open door policy. His policy was never to be behind a closed door alone with a female, other than his wife. This was one of the guidelines he followed in an effort to prevent his relationships from being questioned.

Another of his unnecessary precautions was the one-armed hug, and Rhyse is not the only man I know who insists on these. I guess the point of the one-armed hug is not to give the impression of intimacy with someone other than your spouse, but is that really necessary?

Who sits around and thinks of an open door policy? And what’s going through someone’s mind when they spoil a perfectly innocent moment by turning sideways and putting one arm around your shoulder like a pal? It makes you feel like you’ve made an advance on them.

If I give someone a big squeeze, do people always assume something is improper between us? And if I have a meeting with my boss behind a closed door, do they always assume something inappropriate is going on?

And is this really about what other people think? Or could Rhyse be struggling with lust and letting his over-compensation give him away?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home