Ventilation

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Balance

Why does it feel so good to be somewhere in the middle?

When I started my first job I was asked to fill out a Birkman questionnaire; basically another personality test, the results designed to help teams understand each other and therefore work together more effectively.

Upon review of my results, and even further as we reviewed the results of my new team, I got the impression that having a usual style somewhere in the middle of the color square was most desirable. And those who were extremely yellow, for example, were essentially the purpose of our teaming session, the ones we’d all have to learn to love.

Based on my experiences, balance has come to mean an absolute zero tendency toward anything, similar to that place where you have no desire of your own. And therefore, balance is desirable because it is a state of neutrality toward self.

But Elvis was right when he said balance is equal amounts of extremes. In fact, that is the actual definition.

Balance is a state of confusion, not peace.

Equal measures of opposing pressures must cause someone to struggle with themselves constantly.

If we are to overcome our root issues, balance must not be our goal. We must go beyond it and begin to favor of our root good.

Balance is only halfway there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home