Ventilation

Friday, August 26, 2005

Roots at Work (part 2)

Services jobs are more about being reactive, professional jobs about being proactive. Your usual style ought to determine which of these jobs you’ll feel most comfortable in.

In my experience, many people caught between pride and faith excel at resolving problems or responding to situations. Getting to the bottom of a problem is a very quick way to boost your ego and reaffirm your own self-importance. I would expect prideful people to do very well in jobs where they can find short paths to success.

I also know several people with the root issue of greed vs. hope who are excellent planners and have great foresight. I would expect them to strive in professional careers where they can indulge their obsession with the future.

However, this doesn’t leave a job category for those who struggle with lust. And to further complicate, since I know very few people who are likely to struggle here, it is impossible for me to generalize based on patterns I have observed anyway. The good news for me is this. I have finally found someone who acknowledges their own struggle with lust, and perhaps we will make sense of this root issue after all.

In the meantime, for those of us in professional jobs, here’s something to think about. Take your salary and divide it by 2000, the average number of hours a person works each year. Did you earn as much as you were paid in the last hour?

Now divide your hourly rate by 12. That’s how much you get paid to go to the bathroom.

Or divide your hourly rate by 6. That’s how much your company pays you every time you go out for a cigarette break.

Should you really be in such a rush to get out the door at exactly 4:59?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home