Ventilation

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Apt

Right before she left on vacation, Mallory drew a picture on the white board in her cube, a picture of herself in a beach chair not thinking about work, not missing anyone. She came back to find her peaceful scene in a mess. There was rain and there were sharks. She was sunburned and the island was under missile attack. Someone had even left a personal note.

“Manipulative bitch”

Why don’t people just say what they really mean?

Actually, sometimes they do. Sometimes, I do. And we tend to think that as long as everyone is laughing, we’re getting by with it.

I know who wrote that on Mallory’s board, and I know it wasn’t the first time harsh words passed between them. They were always laughing, but maybe they meant every word.

Now and then I say the very thing I mean, even if it is unkind. Speaking the truth can actually make the truth less believable.

Some things we assume no one would ever say out loud. Saying these very things can actually create a win-win situation for everyone. It gives relief to me, just having spoken it, and it liberates you. Surely your suspicions can’t be true because I have just said it, and no one would ever say that if they really meant it.

I doubt he was trying to liberate me today, but Cramer said I am manipulative, and I am.

4 Comments:

  • Were you supposed to give away the fact you were Mallory?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:48 AM  

  • I didn't, and I'm not.

    By Blogger Amy, at 5:48 PM  

  • Well, correlate this:

    She was sunburned and the island Mallory...was under missile attack. Someone had even left a personal note.
    “Manipulative bitch”

    with this:

    I doubt he was trying to liberate me today, but Cramer said I am manipulative, and I am.

    And you come up with the conclusion that you are Mallory.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 PM  

  • It's true I compare myself with Mallory in this blog, but I also compare myself with the person who left the message. You can't conclude that I am either. :)

    By Blogger Amy, at 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home