Ventilation

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Passing

Why are so few of us afraid to fall asleep at night while so many of us are afraid to die?

Aren’t these moments very similar, a going from someplace known to someplace unknown?

Perhaps we trust the statistics, having slept and woken up safely so many times before.

I wonder if babies are afraid to fall asleep. Is that why they need to be rocked and cuddled?

Some people have actually found a way to control sleep.

Ailyne can wake herself up a few minutes before an alarm clock goes off even when she doesn’t know what time the alarm is set for. And my husband is the same way. He never lets the alarm go off in the morning.

If I were left alone, I wouldn’t stir before noon. Sleep definitely controls me. But then again, it’s arguable that I control my sleep with the way I live the rest of my life.

Another one of those things I could manage, but don’t; my life.

I really must find a therapist.

I have never understood how some people can say they feel ready to die.

That said, I can imagine how someone burdened with greed, always chasing the future, would see death as a relief, a peaceful end to a constant struggle.

It’s not ‘what happens next’ that makes death hard to face, assuming that is already settled for you. It’s that one moment of passing.

Do you think everyone reaches a point where they feel ready to face that moment?

2 Comments:

  • When all is said and done, reality is stronger than all our wishes. Werner Heisenberg.

    Fear of death is, I think, a box where you place various different fears in your life, such as Fear of the unknown, Fear of loss, Fear of unacomplishment, Fear of failure or even Fear of change.

    Once someone realises the only thing to really Fear is Fear itself he is ready to face death.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 PM  

  • I am not ignoring, just digesting.

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home