Ventilation

Friday, January 16, 2009

The Blustery-X

I would like to apologize for what is about to happen, for what has already begun. On behalf of my entire generation, I am so sorry.

You may have noticed, Generation X is entering midlife. Our key role in society is shifting from activity to leadership: parenting, teaching, directing institutions, using values.

Warning - we are not qualified!

MistirY is not the only one of his kind. There are many more of us lurking dangerously close to the ledge of promotion. Our egos are too big to admit we are not prepared.

Watch us as we seize upon opportunities we have not earned. Watch as we allow ourselves to destroy everything we get our hands on. We will usher in a secular crisis the likes of which no one alive has ever seen.

There is no solution.

In fact, this is not a problem; it is a condition of this moment in time. And this moment has only just begun.

“It’s going to be a wild ride” all right.

Thank you, William Strauss and Neil Howe, for all your depressing insight.

2 Comments:

  • Wow. That is depressing, but interesting food for thought. I'm not sure that I buy it, but, even if I do choose to agree, the statement about how it is a condition rather than a problem confuses me a bit. I don't typically view those two things as mutually exclusive. Just because there is no solution, does that mean that it isn't a problem? I think I'm avoiding the big picture.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 PM  

  • You've judged well. Oxford defines a problem only as "an unwelcome or harmful matter needing to be dealt with" and says nothing about a solution (or lack thereof). And certainly from another perspective one might say this condition does need to be dealt with.

    You caught me - gross misuse of the English language! I shall try harder next time :)

    By Blogger Amy, at 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home